Photographer: Gareth Gatrell
Stylist: Samantha McMillen assisted by Pia Aung
Outfit: custom Gucci by Alessandro Michele
Makeup Artist: Erin Ayanian Monroe using L’Oréal Makeup
Hairstylist: Lorraine Glynn
Jewelry: Fred Leighton
Actress Elle Fanning has been a constant revelation throughout her career and her role in The Great further proved her talent.
Luckily, her work was recognized and the show and herself were nominated in different categories for the 2021 Golden Globes.
For the virtual event, the actress wore a light teal custom Gucci satin draped gown with embroidered crystal brooches paired with silver Gucci t-strap stacked platforms.
Elle‘s Fred Leighton jewelry was kindly altered and sent to London for her. The jewels in question were diamond and platinum tassel earrings, a natural pearl and diamond bracelet from 1915, and a platinum pinky ring from the 1920s.
This was her first Golden Globe Awards ceremony and Fanning wanted to celebrate the divas from Old Hollywood as she mentioned to Vogue: “I am so in love with this look. For my first Golden Globes, I really wanted to create an Old Hollywood glamour look. I have always loved the classic glamour of women like Grace Kelly and wanted to pay homage to them for my first time.”
As the article mentioned, it is almost impossible not to see the resemblance of the floor-lenght dress by Edith Head which Grace Kelly herself wore to The Oscars in 1955; Fanning‘s team definitely knows how to play.
Talking makeup and hair: “My makeup artist Erin and I always like to keep my skin quite natural and glowing, with the emphasis on the eyes. The glowing skin keeps the look modern. For my hair, Lorraine and I decided to do a sleek ballet bun, a classic look to showcase the jewelry and dress.”
There was also a Byrdie e-mail interview worth mentioning, in which makeup artist Erin Ayanian Monroe explained the inspiration behind the look: “The glam was inspired by timeless beauty and we strived to reflect that with fluttery lashes and skin that showed vitality and luminosity.”
For a full breakdown of the products used and the process, scroll further:
– Erin prepped Elle‘s skin with L’Oréal Paris Revitalift Derm Intensives Pure 1.5% Hyaluronic Acid Serum;
– she then applied Infallible 24 Hour Fresh Wear Foundation in Rose Ivory (#415) and Porcelain (#405);
– a dab of Infallible Full Wear Concealer;
– L’Oréal’s Glow Mon Amour Highlighting Drops in Icoconic Glow, applied to the high points of her face after sculpting with the blush;
– she applied the L’Oréal Paris Superliner Perfect Slim liquid eyeliner in Black to add depth and boldness to the lash line, and used L’Oréal Air Volume Mega Waterproof Mascara;
– the MUA finished-off the look with L’Oréal Paris Color Riche in Pink Fever (#285) mixed with L’Oréal Paris Liquid Lipstick Infallible in Les Macarons Guava Gush (#824).
Elle was was nominated for ‘Best Actress in a Comedy Series’ for her role in The Great, while the series was up for ‘Best Comedy Series’ and her co-star Nicholas Hoult was nominated for ‘Best Actor’.