Stylist: Mimi Cuttrell
Outfit: custom Tommy Hilfiger
Makeup Artist: Erin Parsons using Maybelline and iShimmer Lashes
Hairstylist: Bryce Scarlett
Manicurist: Mar y Sol Inzerillo
Shoes: Christian Louboutin
Jewelry: Jacquie Aiche
Gigi Hadid‘s MET Gala 2017 outfit has been a favorite of mine for quite some time and since the famed Gala is almost here, do you mind if we take a look back and write about it?
In 2017, Hadid stunned in an asymmetrical custom beige Tommy Hilfiger gown paired with custom-made black rhodium, onyx and diamond earrings by Jacquie Aiche and Christian Louboutin fishnet heels.
Keep in mind that the 2017’s theme was: “Rei Kawakubo/Comme des Garçons: Art of the In-Between“. Gigi‘s choice totally made sense since one part of the dress was off-the-shoulder, while the other side featured a bold shoulder design. And in a similar juxtaposition, the skirt was split into a minidress on one side and a tulle train on the other–a perfect representation of the “in-between” concept if you ask us.
In a Vogue interview with André Leon Talley, Gigi talked about the inspiration behind the dress: “So… I went through archival pictures and just found like my favorite textures that I loved and I loved the mixture of those. So we kinda wanted to do obviously something structured and chic and a little…” “…a little vavavoom” added Talley.
Interestingly enough, in a back and forth with her fans at the end of 2020, the model took part in the “share a pic” challenge, and when a fan asked asked her for a photo from the 25th of March, she posted the original sketch of her MET Gala dress from 2017 which was a work in progress at the moment, roughly a month before the big night. The dress initially would have been made out of black and blue fabric.
Gigi‘s makeup was courtesy of the great Erin Parsons, who collaborated with Maybelline for the look. It consisted of faux bleached brows (deemed “whisper” brows by the duo) and a deconstructed black winged liner.
Seen that the event is pretty dated and that the makeup brand likes to keep its social media presence ‘young’, we were not able to find the original Instagram post containing the breakdown of the products used on this occasion but we had to rely on Amber Katz‘s beauty blog Rouge18. Here are all the goodies (edited and condensed for clarity):
– Maybelline New York – Master Prime Blur + Illuminate;
– Maybelline New York – Dream Cushion Foundation (no shade specified);
– Maybelline New York – Fit Me Matte + Poreless Powder (no shade specified);
– Maybelline New York – Master Strobing Liquid (no shade specified);
– Maybelline New York – Face Studio Master Fix Setting Spray.
– Maybelline New York – Lumi Touch Highlighting Concealer (no shade specified);
– Maybelline New York – Brow Precise Fiber Volumizer in ‘Blond‘;
– Maybelline New York – The Rock Nudes Eye Shadow Palette;
– Maybelline New York – Eyestudio Lasting Drama Waterproof Gel Pencil in ‘Sleek Onyx‘;
– Maybelline New York – Eyestudio Lasting Drama Gel Liner;
– Maybelline New York – The Falsies Push Up Angel Waterproof Mascara with a few individual iShimmer lashes in ‘Joury‘ split into 3 pieces.
– Maybelline New York – Superstay Matte Ink in ‘Loyalist‘.
Gigi‘s hair was styled in an intricate updo with a long fringe caressing the model’s right side of the face, courtesy of Bryce Scarlett.
Nail artist Mar y Sol Inzerillo created long nails for the model, painting them in a custom blended champagne color to match the dress.