Stylist: Law Roach
Outfit: custom Vera Wang by Vera Wang
Makeup Artist: Sheika Daley using Lancôme, Elora Lane and Melanie Mills
assisted by Rhonda Crowder
Hairstylist: Ursula Stephen using Dove, ghd, Love Beauty and Planet
Shoes: custom Brian Atwood
One of the outfits that remains unparalleled on the red carpet is the one actress Zendaya wore to the 71st Emmy Awards held at the Microsoft Theatre in Los Angeles on September 22, 2019. Truly iconic.
Let us explain why and see if you agree with us.
For the occasion, Zendaya stunned in a custom Vera Wang asymmetric one-shoulder emerald green silk charmeuse gown with classic corset details, dramatic draping and a high side slit.
After some digging and despite what several outlets saw as the inspiration for the gown (Poison Ivy, but probably because it was an easier character to reference), in reality, the Wang number was inspired by the Emerald City scene from “The Wiz” (1978) which was an adaptation of “The Wizard of Oz” that tried to capture the essence of the African-American experience.
As for the reason why stylist Law Roach decided to choose Vera Wang to create the dress of his dreams, he told Vogue: “I’ve worked with Vera‘s team before, and the inner workings of her dresses are incredible, so I wanted to highlight that but on the outside of the dress. […] It was a bit sexier than what we’ve done in the past.”
To match her ensemble, Roach opted for a green custom pair of Brian Atwood Cassandra pumps, Cartier emerald, onyx and diamond ‘Panthère‘ earrings, a Cartier Agrafe cuff diamond bracelet and an emerald and diamonds statement cocktail ring.
“Zendaya‘s Emmys‘ look was inspired by old Hollywood glam with a fresh, new and modern twist. The goal was a regal, classic look with glowy and dewy skin, letting her natural beauty shine”, that’s what the actress’ makeup artist revealed to Good Morning America.
Of course the products used were all courtesy of Lancôme; here is a product breakdown which was condensed and edited for better comprehension after reading several sources ranging from Sheika Daley‘s Instagram profile to Samantha Holender‘s article on makeup.com by L’Oréal (keep in mind that some minor details can be not entirely correct–our point is to guide our readers and help them recreate what they see with what they have).
– Lancôme – Absolue – Crème Fondante – Soft Cream;
– Lancôme – La Base Pro – Perfecting Makeup Primer;
– Lancôme – Brow Densify Powder-To-Cream – Eyebrow Filler & Enhancer in ‘Auburn‘ to add density to the brows;
– Lancôme – Brôw Define Pencil in 07 Chestnut to define the brow shape and create a natural, filled, brow;
– Lancôme – Sourcils Styler in 00 Transparent to secure everything in place.
– Lancôme – Color Design Eyeshadow in ‘Amber Velour‘ as a base color blended all around the eyelid;
– Lancôme – Color Design Eyeshadow in ‘Scorching‘, placed as close as possible to the lash line;
– Lancôme – Color Design Eyeshadow in ‘Galactic Sapphire‘, packed in the center of the lid and in the inner corner of the eye to highlight;
– Lancôme – Grandiôse Liner;
– Sheika‘s own Elora Lane lashes in the style 03;
– Lancôme – Monsieur Big Mascara for extra length and volume.
– Lancôme – Teint Idole Ultra 24H Long Wear Foundation in 425 Bisque Warm;
– Lancôme – Teint Idole Ultra Wear Stick Foundation in darker shades to contour the cheeks, nose and forehead;
– Lancôme – Teint Idole Ultra Wear Camouflage Concealer (no shade specified);
– Lancôme – Click and Glow Liquid Highlighter (no shade specified) on Zendaya‘s cheekbones, bridge of the nose, Cupid’s bow and forehead;
– Lancôme – Long Time No Shine Loose Setting Powder in ‘Translucent‘ to set everything;
– Lancôme – Blush Subtil Powder Blush in 161 Absolutely Happy over the apples of the cheeks;
– Lancôme – Star Bronzer in Golden;
– Lancôme – Fix It Forget It Setting Mist.
– Lancôme – L’Absolu Rouge Ruby Cream Lipstick in Vintage Ruby;
– Lancôme – L’Absolu Lacquer Gloss;
– Lancôme – Prismatic Plump Lip Gloss in ‘Sweet Glow‘ on top;
– Melanie Mills – Gleam Face & Body Radiance in a mix of Rose Gold & Peach Deluxe.
What about the hair then? Here is what went down pretty much, according to what hairstylist extraordinaire Ursula Stephen told hellobeautiful.com: “Tonight’s look was extra special because Zendaya went back to red hair! To complement the rich color, we decided to go for old Hollywood inspired soft waves, which went well with her jewel tone green dress and diamonds, for the ultimate Hollywood starlet look!”
Here is a little step-by-step tutorial for you (edited and condensed thanks to articles by Vogue, Byrdie and Essence):
– Dove – Intensive Repair Shampoo;
– Dove – Intensive Repair Conditioner to cleanse the hair;
– Love Beauty and Planet – Coconut Milk & White Jasmine Multi-Benefit Hair Milk mixed with Suave Professionals for Natural Hair Curl Defining Cream to moisture the curls;
– blow dry the hair with a ghd Air Hair Dryer and a paddle brush;
– take medium sections of hair and create curls using a ghd Curve Soft Curl Iron;
– after brushing out the curls, set them with pins and mist them with Suave‘s Firm Control Finishing Hairspray;
– remove the pins and shape the waves around the face.
The “Euphoria” actress’ nails were clean and nude not to take anything away from the dress.
Zendaya presented the award for the category Outstanding Directing For A Limited Series, Movie Or Dramatic Special with RuPaul.