On the heels of last week’s Versace fashion show, I felt compelled to write about someone wearing the iconic fashion house for a red carpet event. SZA attending the 2018’s Grammys came to mind and I started from there.
SZA looked like an angel in an Atelier Versace gown with Swarovski crystal accents throughout, dramatic tulle bell sleeves and a tulle train with daring thigh-high slit from the Fall 2017 Couture collection.
The look was accessorized with Chopard jewelry and white Versace high heels.
SZA‘s stylist Dianne Garcia told Vogue why they chose the Versace dress–keep in mind that the singer already knew she wanted something white, nude and fitted to wear–: “In the past, she has not gravitated toward white, but as of recently, the color has been resonating with her. We wanted something that was sexy, but at the same time soft and whimsical.”
In a Twitter exchange, the lovely Black beauty cited as inspiration for the dress the princess of Genovia, referring to Anne Hathaway and her role in the movie “The Princess Diaries” where she played Mia Thermopolis. Indeed, as pointed out by Refinery29, the inspiration she drew from Mia‘s wedding gown in the film is pretty much there.
If you looked at the photos, you may have noticed that Solána Imani Rowe (this is her real name) was carrying a white rose with her. That was her symbolic way of showing support for the Time’s Up movement as several women and men did on the red carpet.
In an interview for Into The Gloss, makeup artist Samuel Paul talked about the inspiration behind SZA‘s look: “My inspiration for the look was in keeping with SZA‘s natural glam aesthetic, but considering this was the Grammys and her dress is Versace straight from Milan with seamstresses in tow, I wanted to take her look up a notch”.
Here is the list of the products used in the process, thanks to interviews from PopSugar UK and Into The Gloss (condensed and edited for clarity):
– Glossier – Super Glow – Serum;
– Glossier – Priming Moisturizer;
– Glossier – Balm Dotcom – lip balm – for extra moisture on the lips;
– Hourglass – Vanish Seamless Finish – foundation stick;
– Hourglass – Hidden – corrective concealer;
– Inglot – Mattifying Loose Powder – to even everything out;
– Glossier – Cloud Paint – seamless cheek color – in the shade ‘Beam‘;
– Glossier – Haloscope – dew effect highlighter in ‘Topaz‘.
– Kryolan – powder blush in ‘Mandarin‘ (2nd row on the left in the picture below) for added staying power;
– Glossier – Boy Brow – grooming pomade – in ‘Brown‘;
– Fenty Beauty – Killawatt Highlighter – into the inner corners of the eyes;
– Lilly Lashes;
– Nars – Precision Lip Liner in ‘Hyères‘;
– NYX – Soft Matte Lip Cream – lightweight liquid lipstick in ‘Abu Dhabi‘;
– Glossier – Lip Gloss;
– Melanie Mills – Gleam Body Radiance all over the body.
SZA was nominated in several categories, such as: Best New Artist, Best R&B Performance for “The Weekend“, Best R&B Song for “Supermodel“, Best Urban Contemporary Album for Ctrl, Best Rap/Sung Performance and Best Melodic Rap Performance for “Love Galore” featuring Travis Scott.
She sadly didn’t win any and fans were VERY pissed.
She also performed “Broken Clocks” during the show.