Stylist: Wayman Bannerman & Micah McDonald assisted by Ynes Trabelsi
Outfit: custom Louis Vuitton by Nicolas Ghesquière
Makeup Artist: Latrice Johnson using Artís and Clinique
Hairstylist: Larry Sims using Flawless By Gabrielle Union and Tangle Teezer
Jewelry: Rahaminov x Forevermark
Regina King was probably the best dressed for the Oscars 2021, so I couldn’t wait to write an article about her and her sculptural dress.
Her stylists are definitely way underestimated and people should put an end to that.
King looked magnificent is a pale blue custom Louis Vuitton duchess-satin flared gown with ruffled shoulders, embroidered with silver sequins and crystals.
The story behind the dress was nothing short of dreamy, as stylist Micah McDonald revealed to Vogue.com during a phone interview: “We always try to tell a full story. So we had to make sure that the finale was a proper ending to a beautiful season.”
For the stylists, the collaboration with Ghesquière was ideal: “He’s committed to bringing high fashion in its truest sense to the carpet. He doesn’t just design an awards season dress. He gives you his unique interpretation of what that can be. I love the consistency that he brings and attention to detail—the gowns are just as beautiful on the inside as they are outside.”
According to Vogue.com, the gown was crafted over the course of 140 hours in the Vuitton atelier and features a record-breaking number of Swarovski crystals for the house. With 62,000 sequins, 3,900 pale sparkling stones, 4,500 in darker tones, and 80 meters of chain stitching.
The messaging behind the glorious looks Regina was able to give these past months was also part of the magnanimity of the stylist duo: “We wanted to bring something special that lifts the spirits. After everything we’ve been through in the past year, we wanted to create beautiful imagery that people can sit at home and be inspired by or talk about with their friends and family. We’ve been moved by the messages we receive from people about these looks, so we want to make sure to contribute something uplifting.”
Regina accessorized her look with natural Rahaminov Diamonds for Forevermark Asscher 36.10ctw diamond drop platinum earrings, two different kinds of studs, a diamond bracelet and diamond rings from the new Forevermark Avaanti™ Collection, one of the most beautiful pieces was a solitaire pavé white gold open ring from 0.10ct.
There was a shot in the gallery, where we can see a pair of matching platform sandals peeking through the dress but they are difficult to indentify.
Her makeup artist Latrice Johnson provided everyone with a makeup breakdown to follow (edited for clarity):
PRE MAKEUP SKINCARE
– Clinique Moisture Surge 100-Hour Auto-Replenishing Hydrator ;
– Clinique Even Better Clinical Serum Foundation in WN 114 Golden;
– Clinique Even Better Concealer;
– Clinique Chubby Stick Cheek Colour Balm 02 Robust Rhubarb;
BRONZER AND HIGHLIGHTER
– Clinique Face Pop Flower Powder in Solar Pop;
– Clinique Face Pop Flower Powder in Lunar Pop;
– Clinique Stay-Matte Sheer Pressed Powder in Invisible;
– Clinique Superfine Liner for Brows in Deep Brown #03;
– Clinique Neutral Grey All About Shadow 8-Pan Palette;
– Clinique Pretty Easy Liquid Eyelining Pen Eyeliner in #01 Black;
– Clinique Quickliner for Eyes in 07 Intense Ivy;
– Clinique High Impact Mascara;
– Clinique Even Better Pop Lip Colour Foundation.
The tools used for application were from the Artís Elite Collection:
– Oval 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 10;
– Linear 1 and 3;
– Circle 1 and 1R.
For her hair, her hairstylist explained to InStyle.com that he wanted the style to draw attention to the craftsmanship of the Louis Vuitton gown. “The [dress’] lines and shoulder detail inspired tonight’s look. We wanted to go with something sleek, modern, and clean that wouldn’t compete with the structure and craftsmanship or the dress. We also wanted to show off Regina‘s beautiful neck line.”
He also shared a quick tutorial to copy the look:
– massage the scalp with Tangle Teezer‘s Scalp Exfoliator & Massager;
– apply a small amount of the Flawless By Gabrielle Union Detangling Leave In Conditioner, Shine Enhancing Heat Protectant Spray, and Blow Dry Cream to get the hair damp;
– use the Tangle Teezer brush to get rid of any knots;
– blow out hair and follow up with a flat iron to give a smooth, yet textured, finish;
– wrap up with the Flawless By Gabrielle Union Repairing Edge Control and smooth any flyaways with the Flawless By Gabrielle Union Restoring Exotic Oil Treatment.
Look down below to see the Tangle Teezer products hairstylist Larry Sims used on Regina‘s hair.
During the ceremony, Regina King presented the awards for Best Original Screenplay and Best Adapted Screenplay.