Stylist: Rob Zangardi & Mariel Haenn
Outfit: August Getty Atelier
Makeup Artist: Kayleen McAdams using Chanel Beauty
Hairstylist: Mark Townsend assisted by Clayton Hawkins
Manicurist: Tom Bachik
Shoes: Stuart Weitzman
Another day, another Oscar throwback: today we’ll talk about Rachel McAdams at the 88th Annual Academy Awards.
McAdams attended the ceremony in a jade August Getty Atelier Odessa backless halter neck gown paired with Stuart Weitzman Nudist silver platform sandals.
The outfit was accessorized with Niwaka Fine Jewelry pendant long Kuon earrings, Nikawa stacked diamond rings on both hands plus a little knot ring and a Kano bracelet in 18k white gold and diamonds.
Popsugar UK released an interview where Rachel‘s makeup artist (and also adorable sister) revealed the inspiration behind the look: “I wanted Rachel‘s look to be a little sexy, a little sultry. I think Rachel was going against the grain, choosing the slinky dress that she did. We wanted to keep those clean lines, and to give her eyes the same pop that her dress had.”
“The trick to this eye was to use the green shadow just at the lash line. Rather than applying all over the eye, keep it just at the root on the top and bottom lashes. I used a creamy contour to give shape to the crease and to the bottom lash line rather than anything heavy.”
Here is a list of the products she used according to the aforementioned online publication and the beauty blog Rouge18:
– Sunscreen: Chanel – Vitalumière Aqua Ultra-Light Skin Perfecting Sunscreen Makeup Broad Spectrum SPF 15;
– contour: Soleil Tan de Chanel – Bronzing Makeup Base also in the eye crease and along the lower lash line to tie the look together;
– eye shadow: Chanel Illusion D’Ombre – Long Wear Luminous Eye Shadow in Griffith Green;
– concealer to brighten under the eye and a little gel blush by the same brand to give life to the face and cheeks;
– Chanel – Inimitable Mascara Noir on the top and bottom lashes;
– prep with lip balm and then use Chanel – Rouge Coco Stylo Complete Care Lipshine in Conte #202.
Luckily, we were also able to find details regarding her hairstyle, courtesy of Mark Townsend for The Hollywood Reporter: “I’m an emo kid. The ’90s will always be the height of fashion for me. That dress just looked like it was poured over her body. […] She had her hair pulled up into a knot for fitting and everything was perfect. I thought we had to get it all off her face and add some shine and texture.”
Here is the breakdown of the products he used, mixed with a little tutorial by ghd if you’d like to try it at home:
– four to five drops of Dove Hair Serum and Oil to seal the hair cuticles;
– blowed hair out with a ghd Mixed Bristle round brush using a ghd air™ hair dryer;
– used a ghd platinum™ styler to straighten McAdams‘ tresses, section by section to make it look almost wet;
– pulled it in the back to create a textured knot–to get even more sheen, Townsend raked John Masters Organics leave-in conditioner through her hair and then even more serum to make sure it stayed shiny.
– To ensure that the bobby pins securing her hair wouldn’t slip out due to the serum, Townsend laid all the pins on a towel and coated them with a serious dusting of dry shampoo so there would be some friction between the hair and pins, but without the mattifying effect of the product dusted on the entire head;
– sprayed hairspray all over to set the look and keep flyaways down.
The main inspiration was a picture of Amber Valletta from a ’90s Calvin Klein fashion show.
Manicurist Tom Bachik painted her nails with a rose-y hue, because the dress was the star of the show already.
Rachel McAdams presented the award for the category Best Cinematography together with Michael B. Jordan.
She was nominated in the category Best Supporting Actress for her role as Sascha Pfeiffer in “Spotlight” and the movie itself was nominated in the categories Best Picture (winner), Best Original Screenplay (winner) and Best Film Editing.