It was imperative for me to write this article today, because I wanted it done before the premiere of “The Idol” at the Cannes Film Festival this year.
As many of you know, model and actress Lily-Rose Depp will be one of its main characters and I wanted to immortalize the last time she attended the festival in 2017.
Let’s go back a few years, shall we?
On the red carpet Lily-Rose donned a white Greek-inspired jersey long dress from the Resort 2018 collection, paired with gold round Chanel button earrings decorated with rhinestones and a white and gold clutch with triangle motifs on it (visible in the 2nd picture below).
On both arms she wore a Plume de Chanel 18k gold Feather Bangle Bracelet, and to complete the look, she chose a pair of metallic gold Gianvito Rossi Portofino 105 nappa sandals with a higher strap and covered buckle.
A fun fact I found out about this dress–while I was doing my research–is that Lily-Rose graced the cover of Vogue Japan in January of the following year, wearing it again, styled in the same way.
Her makeup artist for the occasion, Sandrine Cano Bock opted for a bronze smokey eye for the occasion, using browns, golds and shimmers for the most ethereal look. The emphasis was on the eyes, her eyebrows were almost untouched and her pout looked natural thanks to a nude lipstick.
All products were courtesy of Chanel Beauty and are listed below.
Keep in mind that this event occurred almost six years ago and it was pretty difficult to find reliable information about her makeup process. We could only put together the pieces between two articles from Harper’s Bazaar and Allure.it which seemed to have as a common resource a Chanel press release (so take everything you read below with a grain of salt, even though the products do look pretty legit to us).
– Chanel Beauty – Hydra Beauty Micro Crème to hydrate the skin;
– Chanel Beauty – Les Beiges Teinte Belle Mine Naturelle in ‘B20‘ and to contour use the Chanel Beauty –Les Beiges Healthy Glow Luminous Colour powder bronzer in ‘Deep‘;
– Chanel Beauty – Les Beiges Stick Belle Mine Naturelle Healthy Glow Sheer Colour Stick blush in ‘#22‘;
– Chanel Beauty – Ombre Première in ‘Silver Pink‘ and ‘Bronze Antique‘ applied on the lids;
– Chanel Beauty – Calligraphie de Chanel Longwear Intense Cream Eyeliner in ‘Hyperblack‘ to intensify the look;
– Chanel Beauty – Le Volume de Chanel Waterproof Mascara in ‘Noir‘ to elongate the lashes;
– Chanel Beauty – Rouge Coco Shine Lipstick in ‘Beige Doré‘ for the most natural pout.
As for the hair, pro Alexandry Costa defined her dreamy soft waves, for an almost undone look. Her coif gave off Pre-Raphaelite vibes, which is one of the styles that suits her best. She really doesn’t need to try too hard, simplicity is her best accessory.
I suppose that Depp worked closely with Chanel to secure this outfit and I also think that she is one of the few people who can sell the brand to a different and younger audience. Many associate the French Maison to mature women, but this new wave of diverse ambassadors could potentially change the narrative and attract new clients.
Time will tell, but after all, there is a new creative director at the helm now.
Ismael’s Ghosts (French: Les Fantômes d’Ismaël) is a 2017 French drama film directed by Arnaud Desplechin.
The story follows a filmmaker whose life is sent into a tailspin by the return of a former lover just as he is about to embark on the shoot of a new film.
On 17 May 2017, the film premiered as the opening film of the Cannes Film Festival.