Stylist: Rebecca Corbin-Murray assisted by Nic Goodwin
Outfit: custom Atelier Versace by Donatella Versace
Makeup Artist: Valeria Ferreira using Charlotte Tilbury
Facialist: Iván Pol using Chanel Beauty
Hairstylist: Danilo using Kenra Professional
Manicurist: Betina Goldstein
using Chanel Beauty, Doublemoss Arte and CND
Jewelry: Tatiana Verstraeten
One thing I know about this year’s MET Gala is that I instantly fell in love with Lily James‘ dress. From its color to its sheerness, it was so feminine and so sultry, without being vulgar.
The ensemble in question was a custom Atelier Versace nude tulle illusion cut-out dress, covered entirely in strings of pearls in reference to their representation of royalty, decadence, and the gaining of new feminine freedoms during the Gilded Age (this year’s theme).
According to the famed Italian fashion house: “Each pearl was hand-embroidered and modernized in a metallic dusty blue coating. The design featured asymmetric lines, a common design feature of the era, an open back with further pearl embellishments, and a keyhole cut-out neckline.”
The look was paired with matching custom dyed satin Versace Medusa open square-toe stiletto heel sandals, with an ankle strap featuring the signature Medusa safety pin hardware and pin-buckle fastening (exact model pictured above, not the same color or fabric).
Her jewelry consisted of Tatiana Verstraeten diamond Rain fringe earrings and another diamond Rain ring in white 18k gold from the same brand on the actress’ right ring finger.
The makeup was the star of the look and MUA Valeria Ferreira is known for her glittery/wet looking eyelids–honestly, it is what drew me to her artistry in the first place.
Ferreira used Charlotte Tilbury products and the following product breakdown was written mixing what the professional and the brand revealed to their followers on their respective Instagrams (hence why they are edited for clarity):
– Charlotte Tilbury – Glow Toner;
– Charlotte Tilbury – Magic Serum Crystal Elixir;
– Charlotte Tilbury – Charlotte’s Magic Cream;
– Charlotte Tilbury – Magic Eye Rescue;
– Charlotte Tilbury – Collagen Superfusion Facial Oil;
– Charlotte Tilbury – Magic Lip Oil Crystal Elixir.
– Charlotte Tilbury – Hollywood Flawless Filter Glow in the shade 2 Fair;
– Charlotte Tilbury – Beautiful Skin Foundation in the shade 2 Neutral;
– Charlotte Tilbury – Airbrush Flawless Finish Powder in the shade 2 Medium;
– Charlotte Tilbury – Hollywood Contour Wand in Light to Medium;
– Charlotte Tilbury – Nudegasm Face Palette;
– Charlotte Tilbury – Beauty Light Wand in Pillow Talk Medium;
– Charlotte Tilbury – Cheek to Chic Blush in ‘Love Is The Drug‘;
– Charlotte Tilbury – Magic Away concealer in shade 2;
– Charlotte Tilbury – Eye Colour Magic Liner Duo in Super Blue (using the metallic one);
– Charlotte Tilbury – Pillow Talk Multi Glow highlighter in ‘Romance Light‘;
– Charlotte Tilbury – The Feline Flick eyeliner in ‘Panther‘;
– Charlotte Tilbury – Pillow Talk Push Up Lashes Mascara in Black;
– Charlotte Tilbury – Brow Cheat pencil in Brown (not specified which kind).
– Charlotte Tilbury – Lip Cheat pencil in ‘Pillow Talk‘;
– Charlotte Tilbury – Matte Revolution Lipstick in ‘Pillow Talk‘;
– Charlotte Tilbury – Supermodel Body – Body Highlighter.
Facialist Iván Pol prepared the “Cinderella” actress’ face before the true glam for the night with the N°1 de Chanel Revitalizing Lotion, N°1 de Chanel Revitalizing Serum and N°1 de Chanel Revitalizing Cream.
Hairstylist Danilo Dixon sleeked back Lily‘s hair giving it a wet looking feel using Kenra Professional products, here they are (edited for clarity):
– Kenra Platinum – Pearl Detangler conditioning milk;
– Kenra Platinum – Luxe One Leave-In spray;
– Kenra Platinum – Blow Dry Spray thermal protectant;
– Kenra Platinum – Silkening Heat Crème brilliant shine thermal styler;
– Kenra – Volume Mousse 12;
– Kenra – Volume Spray 25;
– Kenra Platinum – Luxe Shine Oil nourishing elixir.
All in all, the hair and makeup made sense if we take into consideration what Lily‘s stylist Rebecca Corbin-Murray stated after the MET on her Instagram: “A Siren envisioned by Donatella Versace“.
To finish off the work of art that was Lily‘s appearance, manicurist Betina Goldstein created another one of her masterpieces on James‘ nails, here is what she told to the online community of Nail Pro: “We wanted the nails to be clean, classic and natural with a little bit of sparkle. We really wanted these nails to be an extension of her stunning dress, almost as if they are dripping off her hands!”
Goldstein shared with her followers all the products she used to achieve them, here they are:
Hand-care by Chanel Beauty:
– N°1 de Chanel Sérum Revitalisant;
– LE BLANC Huile;
– La Solution 10 de Chanel;
– Sublimage Le Soin Perfecteur.
Nail tutorial courtesy of the brand CND:
“- Apply CND PLEXIGEL Bonder and two coats of Shaper to perfect the deep almond shape;
– apply two coats of CND Shellac in the shade Veiled for a sheer, natural look and seal with CND Shellac Original Top Coat for high shine.
– Using CND PLEXIGEL Builder as an adhesive, apply crystals and chains, clustering towards the tip of the nails so it looks like they are dripping off the nails.”
“TOOLS (courtesy of Betina Goldstein):
– Doublemoss Arte – Arte 2 Brush;
– Doublemoss Arte – Arte X Brush;
– Doublemoss Arte – Artist Palette Ring.”
Here is a video where the manicurist recreated the nails on her gorgeous hands for Byrdie:
Here are some behind-the-scenes videos and more.