Stylist: Dena Giannini
Outfit: custom Oscar de la Renta by Laura Kim and Fernando Garcia
Makeup Artist: Robert Rumsey using Bybi Beauty and Charlotte Tilbury
Hairstylist: Benjamin Mohapi
Manicurist: Ashlie Johnson using Tammy Taylor
Shoes: custom Jimmy Choo
We finally found the courage to write about Billie Eilish‘s first MET Gala red carpet. It took us a lot of work, but we are sure you’ll enjoy this blast from the past.
Billie, channeling Marilyn Monroe and Old Hollywood, captivated everyone in a one-of-a-kind Oscar de la Renta blush corseted ball gown with cathedral ombré skirt and train.
We are used to seeing Billie in custom Gucci outfits, but this time, with her different fashion choice, she impacted the brand by making it go completely fur-free going forward. As she wrote in an Instagram post: “I am beyond thrilled that Fernando Garcia and Laura Kim and the entire team heard me on this issue, and have now made a change that makes an impact for the greater good, not only for animals but also for our planet and environment too. I’m honored to have been a catalyst and to have been heard on this matter. I urge all designers to do the same.”
In an interview for British Vogue, Eilish‘s stylist Dena Giannini shared how they came up with the designer they chose and which were the singer’s plans pre-pandemic: “Billie had planned to go to the Met Gala for the first time before the pandemic happened. She had always dreamed of wearing a proper ballgown–particularly something corseted, thanks to her love of Barbies growing up–but she thought that it might be in an acid-green colourway or something along those lines. After her British Vogue cover, though, her style began to evolve. After reviewing about a million images together, she and I decided that it had to be Oscar de la Renta for the Met Gala. I called [creative directors] Laura [Kim] and Fernando [Garcia], and within 10 minutes, we’d agreed to collaborate together.”
“Billie and I both love the great costume designers that have really shaped America’s fashion history, and the neckline and décolletage on Marilyn‘s gown definitely inspired us.”
(Referencing the gown Monroe wore to the 1951’s Oscars).
The “Happier Than Ever” singer accessorized the gown with 30 pieces of Cartier jewelry, some were even from the archives from 1951 as revealed by her stylist Dena Giannini (some vintage bracelets even belonged to heiress Evelyn Walsh McLean). Apparently she wore the most rings (25) Cartier has ever had anyone wear. One of the options she could choose from was a pear shaped morganite necklace of over 60 carats, the stone is known to connect to your heart chakra.
Some of her jewelry included Cartier High Jewelry platinum diamond earrings, three Reflection de Cartier High Jewelry 18-karat white gold bracelets and the Cartier Essential Lines bracelet.
To finish off the look, she wore a pair of custom dyed Jimmy Choo sandals to match the dress.
Billie‘s makeup was very airy and dreamy. Her makeup artist Robert Rumsey gave depth to her eyes, keeping the face fresh, supple and moisturized. He used Bybi Beauty products for her skincare and Charlotte Tilbury for her makeup–here is the breakdown (edited for clarity):
– Cleansed skin with Swipe Clean;
– spritzed the skin with Mega Mist Hyaluronic Acid Facial Spray
– mixed two drops of Strawberry Booster into the C-Caf Vitamin C and Caffeine Day Cream and massaged into face and neck;
– Bright Eyed Illuminating Eye Cream tapped around the eyes with my ring finger;
– saturated the lips with Babe Balm.
Here is a more detailed tutorial from the brand itself.
– Charlotte Tilbury – Light Wonder Foundation (no shade specified);
– Charlotte Tilbury – Magic Away Liquid Concealer (no shade specified);
– Charlotte Tilbury – Genius Magic Powder;
– Charlotte Tilbury – Cheek To Chic blush in ‘Pillow Talk‘;
– Charlotte Tilbury – Nudegasm Face Palette.
– Charlotte Tilbury – Luxury Palette in ‘The Sophisticate‘ (2nd picture, 2nd palette on the right) and ‘The Golden Goddess‘ (2nd picture, 1st palette on the left);
– Charlotte Tilbury – Rock ‘N’ Kohl Eye Pencil in ‘Bedroom Black‘;
– Charlotte Tilbury – Full Fat Lashes Mascara in ‘Glossy Black‘;
– Charlotte Tilbury – Brow Cheat Brow Pencil in ‘Natural Brown‘.
– Charlotte Tilbury – Lip Cheat Lip Liner in ‘Iconic Nude‘;
– Charlotte Tilbury – K.i.s.s.i.n.g. Lipstick in ‘Runway Royalty‘.
Eilish‘s hair was coiffed taking inspiration from Marilyn Monroe‘s hairstyle while manicurist Ashlie Johnson painted the blonde beauty’s nails using a custom Tammy Taylor Gelegance Soak Off Gel Polish made just for the look.