Stylist: Wouri Vice assisted by @nicholas.carlo and Brandon McCord
Outfit: custom Cheng-Huai Chuang
Makeup Artist: Porsche Cooper using Stila Cosmetics
Hairstylist: Tony Medina using Sebastian Professional
Manicurist: Kait Mosh using OPI
Shoes: Sophia Webster
Jewelry: Jason of Beverly Hills | Sara Weinstock
In this house, we’re all about glamour and nothing gets us more excited than talented musicians who experiment and bring unexpected designers on a red carpet. Andra Day did just that while attending the 61st Annual GRAMMY Awards at Staples Center on February 10, 2019 in Los Angeles, California.
Day looked flawless, giving off fembot vibes in a custom Cheng-Huai Chuang lavender velvet ostrich feather mini dress with matching stockings, paired with purple Sophia Webster crystal heeled open toe sandals.
The “The United States vs. Billie Holiday” actress accessorized the ensemble with a Gedebe Mini Brigitte dark purple clutch, Jason of Beverly Hills hoop diamond earrings and her hands and wrists were decked in Sara Weinstock: an Illusion Emerald Cut Multi Cluster Statement Diamond ring, a Reverie Couture shield ring and a Round Bezel 18k white gold & diamond cuff bracelet among others.
With a look like this, it was imperative to dig deeper and deeper to find a worthy makeup tutorial, and Andra‘s makeup artist Porsche Cooper came through with it, here it is (slightly edited for clarity):
“- Perfect the skin using Stay All Day – Foundation & Concealer in ‘Golden 10‘;
– fill in eyebrows using Stay All Day – Waterproof Brow Color in Medium first, then Dark using feather-like strokes;
– using the Stay All Day – Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner in Black, sketch the half moon shape starting in the inner corner of the eye, then slightly above the crease, and outward;
– define and perfect the half moon eyeliner using makeup remover and a q-tip;
– liberally apply Glitter & Glow – Liquid Eyeshadow in Perlina from the crease to the lash line.
Allow the glitter to dry completely before adding a second layer to create an opaque finish.
To create dimension on the eyes, line the lash line with Stay All Day – Waterproof Liquid Eye Liner in Black, extending slightly past the outer corner. Repeat the step for the under eye, apply eyelashes, and then apply two coats of Huge Extreme – Lash Mascara in Black on top and bottom.
– Create a luminous bronzed look on the skin using Stay All Day – Bronzer For Face & Body in the hairline and high cheekbones, followed by Angelic blush, layered with Charming blush (from the Perfect Me, Perfect Hue – Palette).
– For a highlight that shines as bright as diamonds, apply Pink Wink Wink – Liquid Eye Shadow on the high planes of the cheeks, and bridge of the nose.
– For luscious lips, apply Stay All Day – Lip Liner in Merlot, and blend inward to create a seamless transition of lip color;
– mix Dolce Vita and Patina Stay All Day – Liquid Lip Colors for the perfect pink, and apply on the lips starting on the inside of the lips, feathering outward to the lip line.”
There was no further detail regarding her hair, apart from it being styled in a bouffant hairstyle decorated with flowers on the right side. A 60’s do in full swing and no one could have done a vintage style better than the great Tony Medina.
To secure Andra‘s do, Medina used a Sebastian Professional Shaper Fierce hairspray.
And what about the nails? They were obviously another masterpiece creation, which was detailed in every little step by nail artist Kait Mosh:
“We started with two coats of ‘Let Me Bayou A Drink‘, then for the print used OPI Ink ‘Show Us Your Tips!, ‘Lavendare To Find Courage‘ and ‘Tinker, Thinker, Winker?‘.
Then to finish it off, we brought Jesus to the Grammys on her ring fingers.”
During the award show, Andra Day performed a tribute to Aretha Franklin with Fantasia and Yolanda Adams, singing “(You Make Me Feel Like) A Natural Woman“.